Every one of us, especially if we are going through something difficult, has felt the urge to just give up at some point. It can be a real challenge when it seems like no matter how hard you work towards your goals, you aren’t making progress. Many times, even if we are moving forward, it can feel as though we aren’t. Instead of giving in to that feeling when you’ve hit a road bump, here’s 5 steps you can take to keep your head up and your eyes on the horizon.
1. Remember the reasons you started in the first place. Before you do anything else, take a few moments to sit and think. Remember why you are on this path to begin with and how your life is already evolving and expanding. Many times, just reminding yourself that your goal is truly worthwhile is enough to keep you from quitting or giving up.
2. List out 10 reasons why you CAN keep going. Sometimes the reason we feel like giving up is because that little boy/girl voice is telling us that we just can’t keep going. We don’t have it in us. To set the record straight, write down 10 reasons why you know you, in fact, can keep going. Then tuck your list somewhere safe for the next time these feelings come up. Another option is to post it where you can see it every day, to constantly remind yourself that you can!
3. Get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. You’ve heard the expression “It’s always darkest before the dawn”? Sometimes we feel the most uncomfortable before we break through, or before something positive happens to turn everything around. When you know you’re on the right path, you can safely accept and push past this feeling, and not give up just to prevent discomfort. You are strong, and you can make it to the dawn.
4. Make a visual representation of what you’re working toward. If you’re anything like me, you may have a million thoughts all spinning around at once in your head. When you start to feel like quitting, find a project that can help visually remind yourself of your purpose and end goals. Maybe you want to make a collage about your goals or perhaps you’re a painter, and you’d like to paint a picture of an uplifted version of yourself. You can use any method you want to show yourself what you’re working for. Plus, this can take your mind off the negative aspects of your journey and instead bring out a chance to be creative.
5. Walk away. Sometimes, we can spend too much time with our thoughts on one thing, even if that one thing is improving our self and our situation. If you start to feel down and can’t think past the thought of giving up, test out walking away from the situation, literally. Spending time with nature and exercising can help release the feeling of overwhelm or anxiety that makes us want to quit.
There are many things that may make us want to give up at some point on our journey. Feeling helpless, feeling hopeless, or just wondering what the point is are some of the worst kinds of feelings, but if you realize what you’re feeling and take steps to keep yourself positive and on-track, you’ll find that you are stronger than the temporary desire to give up.
I can think of many times in my life when the only option seemed like quitting. Luckily, I was able to take steps like these to keep myself from giving up. Have you experienced these feelings? Are you feeling them now? I would absolutely love to hear what sort of emotions are coming up and how you are working to keep focused and on track with your goals. Let me know in the comments below.
Much love and happiness,