Are you feeling or have you ever felt overwhelmed?
We have all felt overwhelmed at some point. It’s definitely not a comfortable feeling, it can be confronting at times. I know the tips I am sharing with you today, are going to be very beneficial to have in your tool box to ground yourself when feeling overwhelmed. Once you learn and implement these simple techniques, you will find your feelings of overwhelm will start to minimise much quicker than normal.
The general goals when we begin our healing journey are to feel confident, calm, balanced, at peace and a better sense of direction. As most of you would know when you begin the healing journey it isn’t a quick fix to feel these beautiful emotions. It can be a little rocky to begin with once you start releasing suppressed emotion and then over a period of time you start to feel more liberated than you have ever felt, you feel more confident and you have a sense of direction and fulfilment.
What I love about my twice daily meditation practice is no matter what is going on in your life meditation will always brings you back into the now, it allows the mind to calm and helps you to not get caught up in the story.
Change is one thing that can cause overwhelm, a beautiful quote and a great reminder by Lao Tzu – ‘Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them, that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
5 Tips for Dealing with Overwhelm
1. Daily meditation. Implementing a twice daily practice of meditation you will feel more aware, calm and confident. You’ll gain greater adaptability in life and feel capable of meeting any challenge or demand.
2. Make yourself your main priority. Put yourself first, it’s ok to say no. If you are feeling overwhelmed it’s ok to say no. If you are challenged with saying no, ask yourself, ‘why am I feeling uncomfortable about being honest with myself and others?’. We should never worry about what others think, if we are being honest with ourselves and respecting others whilst doing so this is all that matters.
3. Become witness to your thoughts. Deep in your heart, know the feeling of overwhelm will pass. When we are in states of overwhelm it’s very easy to get consumed in the intense feeling, thoughts and story of what’s going on. Become witness to the story and allow your adult self to bring you back into the now, reassuring yourself everything is in divine order and what you are experiencing is exactly where you are meant to be on your journey.
4. Make sure your energy is grounded. Grounding your energy is simply anchoring your soul and energetic body to the Earth. Check in and ask yourself, ‘Is my energy floating or am I feeling grounded?’ Check in frequently to make sure you are feeling grounded. Wear bare feet around the house, spend time in nature, meditate and complete a visualisation process of grounding yourself through your root chakra.
When your energy is grounded you will feel calm, confident, peaceful and clarity.
When your energy is not grounded you will feel confused, distressed, anxious and nervous.
5. Listen and act on your intuition. Allowing your intuition to guide you through life’s choices may seem frightening, difficult and maybe even reckless at first, but when you learn to tap into your intuition, trust in its infinite wisdom you will find that life opens up in so many ways you never dreamed possible. Letting your intuition guide, as it was created to do, will bring you clarity specially in situation of overwhelm. When your thoughts utilise intuitive energy you are much more empowered and this will help release the overwhelm in your body. If you are constantly processing what your intuition is saying rather than what your fear is saying, you are developing strength and therefore you are empowered.
Always remind yourself, that this too will pass. What usually happens when we are feeling overwhelmed is there is a big change taking place, which is really positive even though very confronting at the time.
A beautiful reminder from the great Eckhart Tolle – Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.
It’s now time to release the overwhelm and have some fun, take yourself to the movies and watch a great comedy, organise a catch up with friends or schedule your next hike in nature. Wishing you a beautiful week.
Much love and gratitude,